Material Transfer Agreement Policy

Home  >>  Material Transfer Agreement Policy

Material Transfer Agreement Policy



Overcoming Barriers to The Transfer of Published Research Materials The barriers that MTAs can pose to facilitate the flow of published research materials among non-profit organizations have long been recognized. As the NIH has pointed out, each iteration in a negotiation on the terms of MTA delays the timing of a research tool being used in the laboratory. Hundreds of thousands of NGOs are negotiated each year between non-profit organizations around the world, representing a considerable administrative burden and higher costs for low-value universities. The U.S. National Research Council (NRC) recently issued a call to action that identified MTAs as tedious and tedious obstacles to advancing research. If you want to send material to a non-UCL researcher, we create an MTA and send it to the recipient for verification. If you receive an MTA for materials that need to be sent to UCL, we will check as soon as possible and contact you if there is a problem. Among the most common issues are compensation, existing legislation and rights over the period of investigation, which may conflict with the conditions of granting or other obligations. In the United States, most educational institutions and many non-profit organizations use the Uniform Biological Material Transfer Agreement (UBMTA) (.doc), designed to facilitate the exchange of research materials for non-commercial purposes. Government authorities generally provide materials under similar conditions.

Members of the UWM faculty may transfer materials to educational or non-profit organizations in accordance with the Biological Material Transfer Agreement, unless the material belongs to the UWM Research Foundation, in which case the application begins with processing. Materials may include cultures, cell lines, plasmids, nucleotides, proteins, bacteria, transgenic animals, pharmaceuticals, other chemicals, alloys and other materials of scientific or commercial value. Faculty members who come or leave the UH must have an MTA before they can transfer materials from other institutions such as plasmids, cell lines, animals, etc. We publish guidelines for both outgoing and incoming material transfers. Therefore, if you would like to send or receive material to a non-UCL researcher, please download the corresponding document on the links to the right of this page. Under the U.S. Export Control Act, a license may be required from the Bureau of Industry and Security or the Commerce Department for the export of certain materials. For example, human pathogens, zoonoses, toxins, animal pathogens, genetically modified microorganisms, plant pathogens, radioactive materials, magnetic metals, propellants and ceramic materials. Anyone considering transferring materials controlled by the Commerce Department or the State Department outside the United States should work with UH export control officer Sandy Brown to obtain the necessary license. There are civil and criminal penalties for violations of export management regulations.

For simple transfers without intellectual property, the NIH recommends a simple matching agreement. For materials that can be patented or for which increased protection is desired, the Uniform Biological Material Transfer Agreement (UBMTA) can be used. Many U.S. educational institutions have signed the UBMTA Masteragrement. [2] AUTM (formerly the Association of University Technology Managers) serves as a repository for UBMTA`s original master`s contracts and keeps the list of signatories. [3] UBMTA signatories must only sign a letter of execution containing the details of each transfer, since they have already agreed to all the terms of the master contract. Some repositories require registrations and some require MTAs, and some require both.

Comments are closed.